Provincial Historic Site
 
Lighthouse Construction
Image
A three year construction undertaking between 1854-1857, Point Amour Lighthouse embodied the latest techniques in technology and structuring of that time, and was termed as being "state of the art". Designed by the Canadian Board of Works, the construction contract was given to Monsieur Francois Baby of Quebec to build one of Canada's tallest lighthouses at Point Amour. This contract, beginning in 1854, encompassed all aspects of masonry, carpentry and joiner's work in both the light tower and dwelling.

Local quarries near Forteau Point and L'Anse au Loup provided the limestone for the construction of Point Amour Lighthouse. However, the inaccessibility to other materials made building such a structure quite challenging. With no suitable forests nearby, nor immediate access to other needed materials, supplies such as shingles, cut stone, brick and timber had to be shipped by schooner from Quebec to L'Anse au Loup. They were then carried four miles overland by horse and cart to the Point Amour site. By mid-summer of 1857, work on both the lighthouse and attached dwelling had been completed, whereby the lighthouse was first illuminated in time for the navigational season of 1858.
 
Image
A strikingly handsome, historic structure built of local quarried limestone, the light tower at Point Amour is 24 feet in diameter at ground level, and tapers to 8 feet at the cornice. The walls at the base are secured by 6 feet of thickness, with foundations carried down to solid rock. Also constructed of limestone, the two-story, 2500 square feet dwelling is 50 feet in length and 24 feet wide, with walls about 2 feet thick. Three years after completing the lighthouse, oak planks were attached to the exterior firebrick, serving as a nailing surface for cedar shingles that would completely cover the tower, and help protect the structure from the harsh climate.

In subsequent years, several buildings were added to the light-station, including an oil shed in 1875, a Marconi wireless telegraph station in 1904, a storage shed and fog alarm building in 1907 (since demolished), a second dwelling in 1954, and a third living quarters in 1967.
 
Webmaster Login
Site Content & Design 2014
The website is managed by the
Labrador Straits Historical Development Corporation.